Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Renaissance man or Jack-of-all-trades?

I like to think of myself as a Renaissance man, but fear I fall more into the category of a Jack-of-all-trades. I am an artist who despite colorblindness has several hanging paintings in other than my livingroom. I have designed and built furniture, done block printing, silkscreen, and wood carving. I was, for twenty or so years, a hobby blacksmith. I have done home improvements in the form of tearing out walls and building new replacements, run electrical wiring and plumbed kitchens and baths. I have run a newsletter, written essays, and written a book and sop up all sorts of knowlege like astronomy and physics like a compressed sponge. I have displayed competence in all these things, but excelled in none. I fear my constant turning to the next project before the last one has been finished dooms me to the level of mediocrity, not memorability. What say ye?

No comments:

Post a Comment